Literal and figurative traverses of basin and range

Thursday, February 16, 2006

The time has come

The 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo begins the day after tomorrow. One thing I'm really looking forward to is the calm before the storm. I hope I'm speaking figuratively, rather than literally; there's a 10-20% rain chance during the event.

But no, what I mean is that I've been training, fairly hard at times, since a just a day or two after last year's race. Yesterday, I wrapped up 45 consecutive days of rides, hikes, and lifts. I took a pass on all of those things today but I sure didn't get to relax. I still spent the entire evening running around like a headless chicken getting our shit together. My wife was in on it, too, and she'd already been pre-preparing our meals and doing the last of the bike clothes laundry all day long. Both of us would rather have been out spinning off a few easy miles.

That'll all change tomorrow, Friday. Beans and I are going to wake up, grub down, have our last coffee for the weekend, drive out, set up, and then spend the rest of the day kicked back in our lawn chairs. Pre-ride, schmee ride. The only challenge I see will be staying out of the New Belgium products until after the race.

So there you have it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home