Literal and figurative traverses of basin and range

Saturday, February 04, 2006

TMP Files

Just got back from the ride at TMP. Beautiful day, and I did manage to clear my mind of a few things. What I could not clear was the descent down Yetman Wash. The geologic term for what I ratcheted, pushed, and swore my way through would be something like "unconsolidated recent alluvium". The lay term would be "wheel-plowing suckfest". It was like trying to ride through marbles piled 4" deep. The singlespeeder who descended before me appeared to have had no problems, but I just couldn't ride it all like I've done in the past.

Veelz will blame the equids but I didn't see any of their telltale shit heaps. I suspect the reason it was the way it was is the massive rain last August combined with essentially no rain since. For the millionth time, SoAz needs some precipitation. But I have to be careful what I wish for; the race is 2 weeks away, and I'd like to ride in the dry this year. Mild evenings and 70+ degree afternoons would be most excellent.

Despite the hike-a-bike aspect of a few parts of the ride, it added 10.5 miles to my base. More importantly, it was the first one where Steve joined Kona in my thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home