Literal and figurative traverses of basin and range

Friday, December 23, 2005

Local herpetofauna


One wouldn't expect to see too many reptiles out and about on crisp December day, even here in the desert, but there's been at least one big brown lizard making the scene. This is my new singlespeed Chameleon being put through its paces at the 50-Year Trail.

Scored the bare frame used at the spring Bike Swap in 2004 and then kept it on ice until I broke my Kaboom the first of October. In late November, after an inexplicable but productive bout of nothing but road cycling, I cannibalized the Kona, built the Santa Cruz up, and have been enjoying it ever since. I didn't get to chose the color, but Root Beer is probably what I would have wanted anyway, as it looks mighty groovy. Flashy, and yet subdued.

I've ridden with suspension forks on and off over the years but always seem to migrate back to rigid. That's how I roll, as the kids say. Now, there are rigid forks and then there are rigid forks. The Planet-X Superlight I've got spinning around in the Chameleon's head tube tracks perfectly, as most decent hard forks do, but the black On-One clone is also punishing; unforgiving of even just 2 or 3 PSI extra in the 2.4" MutanoRaptor up front. On top of that, Chameleons are known to be a bit on the stiff side to begin with. Riding rock gardens makes me feel like I'm operating a jackhammer on armor plate. At least all the weight lifting I've done is now useful for something other than opening jars. Despite that, I can see where fatigue could be a problem on longer and/or rockier rides, but I'm thinking it will be fine for the Willow Springs course. The fire roads and singletracks out there are usually pretty buffed, with minimal technical terrain and lots of climbing. And if it isn't, the elderly Z2 is coming off the Kona and getting bolted up.

Now, if you'll excuse me, my services are required in the War on Christmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home