Literal and figurative traverses of basin and range

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Thursday miscellany

Went to the local Chinese buffet the other day (this is not on the weight loss topic) and got my fortune cookie. Stashed it on the shelf at work until today, at which point I had a craving for something bland and stale. Cookie! The cookie was fine, given my low expectations. But it was the fortune contained therein that really captured my imagination.

"Others are anxious to get to know you better"
"11 12 22 34 36 3"

Well boy howdy, what a coincidence! Just last night, I added a bunch of links and even categorized them. There’s the bike stuff, or "cogs", as well as "dogs" and "sprogs". BTW, "dogs" is largely, but not entirely, about (hu)man's best friend (Canis domesticus Linnaeus) and "Sprogs" is a reference to kids. I hope not to your kids.

Anyway, the content of the websites linked to from here includes things I like or about which I'd like to learn, merchants I support, beliefs I hold, things I’d like others to get turned on to, etc. So if you are one of these so-called
"others" who have been prophesized to be anxious to get to know me better, start clicking and reading. If that sounds too much like work, here's the lazy-assed Cliffs Notes version. I like bikes. I love dogs. Kids, or more accurately, the having and raising of them: hell no. The Sirens' song of parenthood falls on deaf ears in this household. And yet, some of my best friends are breeders.

And about that fortune's list of numbers - 11 12 22 34 36 3 - are they supposed to be lucky or otherwise relevant? Nobody knows for sure, but dig this. I was born in the 11th month, today is 12/22, I am midway in age between 34 and 36, and there were exactly 3 bicycles in the bike storage room at my office today. Similarly, one of my dogs has 3 black feet. Hmm...

Back in the non astrologically-driven world, I'm trying to shake off a persistent head cold. Its been just weak enough to permit me to continue biking
to work, lifting, and walking the mutts. Aside from a low-grade fever early on and the occasional coughing and hacking jag, I'm more or less OK. Plus, it'll be nice to get the inevitable annual cold out of the way before my 2-week winter break from work, as that will be my opportunity to ramp up my mileage base prior to the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo. Oh, and pre-rides of the course are in there, too. I have to wonder how it did after the heavy monsoons we had down in these parts last summer.

I'm very grateful that I'm not experiencing my rhinoviral issues in the upper Midwest, like my bros Farmboy out of Iowa and LakeRaven of the Wisconsin LakeRavens. Log in to the BigWhiskeyMTB forums and see what the snow and single digit temperature situation looks like for these fine fellows. Just this last winter, I made an informed decision to despise the cold, and that's just Arizona's pretend version of cold, so I feel for these guys. I mean, you can rig up a Pugsley and go out dressed all Idita-like, but after a certain point, it just seems inhuman to be out riding. But speaking of inhuman riding conditions, while I'm sweating the 115 degree days and huffing ground-level ozone by the cubic meter here in the Old Pueblo at the next solstice, the Midwesterners will be singlespeed swooping on sun-dappled woodland trails all the live long day. And plus, there's all that GnomeFesting to be done next September.

OK, seeing as how I have to wake up at zero dark hundred hours tomorrow, I ought be pinching this one off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home