Literal and figurative traverses of basin and range

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

102 hours to 24 hours

One hundred and two hours until the shotgun blast that starts the mad dash to the bikes for the first lap of the 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo. Damn, that seems awfully close. I must think I'm ready to race, as I'm officially tapering off. I went out for just over 40 miles on the road bike Sunday and two days before that was a peak session with the weights. From now until the race, its low mileage, low effort, low weight, low reps, and short dog walks. On the subject of dogs, our little Kona is 9 years old today. She's surviving just fine these days.

And yes, its St. Valentine's Day but its also Arizona Statehood Day (1912). Ninety-four years onward and Baja Arizona still isn't properly delineated as a separate state from Alta Arizona.

But enough geopolitics. Perhaps I'm not ready. My cache of gear is woefully understaged and I really need to get it together lest I start pulling all nighters in the garage. I have two bikes to tune up (though they're singlespeeds - what's to tune?), a whole camp to equip and provision, and a small bike shop, with an apparel department, to pack. All the food needs to be pre-prepared and frozen at some point. It'll all fall together one way or another, I suppose, just like the teams did.

Better go ride to work. Laters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home