Literal and figurative traverses of basin and range

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Only by the night

I'm just now back from a nice little night ride over at Greasewood Park. This evening's featured nocturnal animal sightings included lesser nighthawks flushing from the trail and millipedes doing whatever it is they do for kicks. I usually only see millipedes out and about during the monsoon season, but maybe they were responding to the aberrant couple of days of rain we had earlier this week. I also saw what I think were some kind of pocket mice. Or maybe they were cactus mice. I don't know, I was moving along kinda' quickly.

The night ride was partly to avoid the resurgent heat and partly because my sleep patterns are still messed up after an out-and-back trip to the Valley on Tuesday to see the Kings of Leon at the Mesa Amphitheater. It was a great concert, but the whole adventure threw a warp into my schedule that's only now starting to settle down. I'm too old for this shit.

Speaking of circadian rhythms, I'd better sign off and get to bed at a reasonable hour so I can get up and walk the dogs in the morning. I've got to get them out early rather than late because I'm not sure they'd appreciate birds, arthropods, and rodents in quite the same way I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home