Literal and figurative traverses of basin and range

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Motivation

Veelz called yesterday afternoon to see if I was up for a night ride. I said no, thanks, my back was still sore from last Sunday. That was a true statement. I then said that until I felt better, I was going to be a roadie. That was not a true statement. I had no intention whatsoever of riding my road bike and, in fact, had planned to pretty much laze around for most of the weekend.

And laze I did. I'd already spent 3 hours birding in the front yard before lunch. Veelz's call came at the end of a wonderful 2-hour afternoon nap. And yet the little white lie festered for the rest of the afternoon, overnight, and right into my dog walk this morning. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. I aired up the skinny tires and went out for a brief ride, thus making good on my statement about riding the road and short-circuiting my plans for a weekend of sloth.

But of course, I am not now nor have I ever been an actual roadie, and no amount of pavement can ever substitute for a trail ride. But it's also getting to the point that no amount of saguaro-lined singletrack, no matter how sweet, can substitute for a pine tree-lined singletrack. I have got to get to Flagstaff, Silver City - anywhere I can hear my knobbies crunching pine needles rather than crushing rock. Yeah, I'm back to bitching about needing a road trip. And I'm going to keep bitching about it until I can actually make it happen.

So is that a promise or just another lie? We shall see.

1 Comments:

Blogger veelz said...

Let me know about a road trip. I still miss my solo weekend to Gallup. I will take my gearie bike though, since my ss was stolen.

Mon May 18, 12:19:00 PM 2009

 

Post a Comment

<< Home