Literal and figurative traverses of basin and range

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Well, shit.

BeanSS and I triangulated with Veelz via telephone last night to meet him and a small group out at the Sweetwater Trail this morning. We made these plans despite knowing our shit wasn't exactly together. We thus needed to spend much of the evening prepping our rides and assembling our kit. We got BeanSS's bike's tires aired up, the suspension dialed in, and its chain lubed. I'd had a couple of near-wreck experiences last weekend wherein I couldn't get clipped out quickly enough. When I inspected my pedals last night, I saw one's retention mechanism was broken. A last-minute pedal swap with another bike solved the problem. We loaded both bikes into the truck and threw our gear duffels in after them. Camelbaks were filled, energy drinks were mixed and staged in the refrigerator, riding clothes were laid out, and cycling socks displaying suitably ironic social statements were selected.

Then the shit happened.

Our boy Clayton has been having a bit of gastrointestinal difficulties lately. After letting him out for his second or third late night bathroom break, we officially called off our participation in the ride so as to be able to keep an eye on him today (and to serve him chicken and rice - he'll eat better than we will for a time).

And so this morning, I got up, put on street clothes rather than the assembled cycling ensemble, and set the ironic socks aside. I took the bikes out of the truck and wheeled them - with their fully-aired tires, perfectly dialed-in shocks, freshly-lubed chains, and replacement pedals - back into the workshop. I then made a fresh pot of coffee, which would have been a big no-no if we were riding. Caffeine, you see, is the king of all diuretics, capable of interrupting rides with pee breaks every quarter mile. Of course, my baseline pee break schedule is every mile or so to begin with. But I digress, and besides, I think we've all heard enough about how bodily functions affect my bicycling.

With the trail ride off the agenda, I think I'll set up to do some birding in the front yard. The air should soon warm to the point where thermals and updrafts get going, thus causing a raptor liftoff. The northward movement of passerines seems to be a bit late this year - my April at-home bird last was almost devoid of warblers - so I'm hoping to see a neotropical migrant or two.

Moreover, tomorrow is another day and - I'm going against my better judgment by saying this - another opportunity to hit the trail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home