Literal and figurative traverses of basin and range

Friday, January 25, 2008

The snowbird returns

I saw this Taiga-race merlin (Falco columbarius columbarius Linn.) during the morning dog walk, shortly before a close fly-over by a western red-tailed hawk (Buteo jamaicensis calurus Gmelin). The big hawk flew on, perched a few hundred meters away, then dove to the ground, presumably in pursuit of prey. The merlin remained calmly in place.

During the time it took me to walk home, drop off the dogs, grab my camera and drive back, the Merlin had caught its breakfast. The small falcon is plucking the feathers from what appears to be a male house sparrow (Passer domesticus Linn.).

I see this merlin somewhat regularly near my house during the winter, and I suspect it's the same individual that wintered in my neighborhood last year. Raptors seem to have a reasonably high degree of site fidelity to their wintering grounds.

Starting out my day with back-to-back bird of prey sightings was pretty enjoyable, but I'm even more pleased to have finally taken a perched raptor photo free of utility poles, overhead wires, and other distractions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home