Literal and figurative traverses of basin and range

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Spring Classic

The Summer Solstice began today at 3:15 am , so I guess today's ride wasn't actually during the spring. It was also in the low-90s, further differentiating it from the oftentimes-brutally cold weather of Europe's spring classics. Despite these incongruities, I was thinking of Paris-Roubaix as I rolled some pavement after riding one of my singlespeeds around the network of fire roads, horse trails, and unpaved streets near my house.

Tucson has famously bad streets. I tend not to notice the roughness on a mountain bike, but hitting the chop at speed on a road bike can blur your vision (and put an end to said speed as well). It's not exactly the TrouĂ©e d'Arenberg, but this'll buzz you right through your bars.

Tucson Pave'

I live in a hilly area of the Old Pueblo, which means every ride either begins or ends with a climb. And depending on the route, some rides begin and end with a climb.

A named, Category 4 ascent

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home