Literal and figurative traverses of basin and range

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Socializing

I commute by bike more often than not. I ride a number of different routes throughout the year, which keeps things from getting too monotonous. A couple of weeks ago, while riding to and from work through an area north of home, I spied what looked like a narrow, sinuous trail snaking off into the desert. In another place, I noticed a sign at a gap between some mesquites that says that the route is primitive and unmaintained. I typically commute on a road bike, so I can't really take off into the dirt and, of course, I have to arrive at work somewhat timely or get home before dark. Last weekend, I recruited BeanSS and we rode to one of these potential trailheads with mountain bikes. What we found were Social Trails.

One seems like a partially-abandoned service road, another is tracked with horseshoes, indicating it's an informal bridle trail, and yet others are power or gas line rights-of-way. And damn if some of what I found on a solo excursion this afternoon isn't genuine singletrack. Two other segments (that I already knew about) are just hilly, unpaved streets with enough rocks and ruts to keep things at least a little bit interesting. Linking it all together makes for a nice little ride.

I won't say where these trails are, because despite the complete absence of "No Trespassing" signs and barbed wire, the whole thing kinda' feels like a poach. Also, I sort of like the idea (though it's more than likely not the reality) that BeanSS and I are the only mountain bikers that know about them. All I'm willing to share are the names I've given them and which appear on no map: Wash (it traverses an ephemeral channel), Cairn Terrier (not the dog breed - someone built a rock cairn along the route and there are some angry little terriers of uncertain ancestry in an adjacent yard), Big Valley (self explanatory), and Low Line (there's a telephone line strung so low that I could jump up and grab it).

I'm also aware that I need to go somewhere other than where I can pedal to from home and ride real trails with actual names. Until then, I'll just be social.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home