Literal and figurative traverses of basin and range

Saturday, December 13, 2008

A perfect storm

I started the day with a nice, brisk dog walk, after which I decided to put in a long session behind the binoculars. The skies were clear and the wind was calm. I recorded the bluebird weather in my field notes, even writing that it could be a productive day for hawkwatching.

The first raptor sighting was of a red-tailed hawk, a distinctive and strikingly-marked individual that I don't recall seeing earlier this year - probably a wintering bird. Later, a frantically dispersing flock of rock pigeons gave away the presence of a cruising peregrine falcon. I've been seeing peregrines in my neighborhood fairly regularly for a week or two, but each new sighting is still a big thrill for me. Not five minutes later, a prairie falcon circled over the house, its dark axillars obvious in the bright sky. An American kestrel, another red-tail or two, and a hatch-year Cooper's hawk all made appearances just before midday.

By the time I saw a lone Harris's hawk flying in the distance, the vanguards of a winter storm had started to move across the Old Pueblo. The wind kicked up and the temperature dropped noticeably. I traded my shorts for jeans and threw on a fleece jacket. The wind grew stronger yet, eventually filling the skies with so much airborne dust that I abandoned my idea of taking an afternoon road bike ride. I birded a while longer, finally giving up when the visibility deteriorated to the point that seeing distant raptors became difficult.

I went inside and after horsing around on the web for a while, I decided to take Clayton and Dora for a second walk. I'm glad I did because on the way back, a Merlin flew over the little patch of desert we were hiking across and landed on a utility pole, a freshly caught passerine in its talons. I was without my binocs, but it looked to be a Taiga-race bird. I suspect it's the same individual I've seen, photographed, and blogged (here and here) during both of the past two winters.

One day, seven species of birds of prey, including all four North American falcons one could reasonably expect to see in Tucson - not too shabby. I have to say that despite everything that's been going on, this was an absolutely perfect day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home