Literal and figurative traverses of basin and range

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Suspended animation

My job has been unusually tolerable lately. I'm chalking it up to my focus on trying to do more fun stuff while I'm away from work so that the good mood follows me through the week. Or maybe it was the excitement associated with a coworker having had an Xtracycle FreeRadical installed on her bike. For a left-wing, pro-bike, childfree, committed commuter-type like myself, a new longbike is like baby news, only without the poopie. Nevertheless, thank Jah it's almost Friday.

In other veloconsumerist happenings, my suspension fork arrived last weekend. The heavier spring necessitated by my weight got here a few days later. I'm still waiting for some preload spacers to show up and then all I have to do is find a few free hours during which to bolt everything up. I'm looking forward to getting a little boing on the front of my singlespeed because I'm still suffering some shoulder/arm/hand pain from my last trail ride. Either that, or I injured myself when I fell off the high horse on which rigid singlespeed riders tend to sit.

I also picked up some new new seals for the old Z2 Bomber on my wife's beloved VooDoo Nzumbi. She didn't put all that many miles on it before one of the seals blew, but admittedly, the fork was a bike swap special. Who knows if the seals and wipers were as new as the seller said they were? Actually, I'm pretty pleased that I can still find replacement parts for a 10-year old fork. This might be a shop job because I don't want to bugger up the seals' seats trying to pry the old ones out or wreck the Enduro Seals trying to cram them in. We'll also get a fork oil change out of it.

If I don't get all of this in time, it'll be another weekend of road bike riding. That sure isn't the worst thing either of us could be doing on a fine autumn day.

Bike on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home