Literal and figurative traverses of basin and range

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Falling down

Tomorrow is the first full day of fall and thus, this morning's mountain bike jaunt was my last ride of the summer. The passing of the autumnal equinox doesn't mean we're through with the heat - possibly including aberrant days with triple digits - but the worst of it truly is behind us now. I anticipate complaining about the shortened day lengths within a month or two, and by late December, I will have just about had it with the near-freezing nights.

The ride went pretty well. My recently-reduced gear ratio allowed me to clean this one gravelly little climb that had frustrated me on my last few attempts at it. I was also able to get a decent flow going in the babyhead sections, which made me start thinking I may not need to blow my entire savings on a suspension fork. Then again, the fall bike swap is on the horizon, and a ganga deal on a squishy fork might make me reconsider the rigid stance.

Either way, the important thing is to get in the miles and lose the gut in anticipation of a road trip to Napa for the 2008 Single Speed World Championships. And aside from being a bit bent that California is hosting what, its third (?) SSWC - when bike-crazy and/or trail-heavy places like Boston, Bend, Silver City, and, I don't know, maybe Flagstaff or TUCSON haven't seen one yet - I'm kinda' looking forward to a return to NorCal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home