Literal and figurative traverses of basin and range

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Rest stop

After having spent about six months working more or less on one big project at work, I'm finally finished. I'm unfortunately only in the eye of the hurricane, as the next phase will begin in a week or two. I suppose I had better enjoy the break.

Maybe its time for a vacation. I've got a few general ideas: see my Dad in Glendale and fish the ASU Research Park lakes in Tempe for bass on the way back to the Old Pueblo; swap in a 32:20 on the singlespeed and take it to Flagstaff with BeanSS; or head to Silver City and go birding on the upper Gila River. Maybe I should go crazy and do them all. On the other hand, I'm so burned out that I might settle for a "staycation". Actually, no. I need to out of the Tucson Basin for a while.

I also reached a bike commuting milestone coincident with wrapping up the big project - I clocked my 1,000th round trip since I started keeping records of such things in 2000. The next goal will be the same as in any year: ride to and from the office no less than 100 times (I came up way short in '04 and '05). I'd also like to beat last year's total of 130-something trips. I have 2,200 miles to go before I reach 10,000 miles' worth of biking to work, so that's also something to shoot for. This commuting has its health and stress reduction benefits, results in zero emissions, saves on gas and vehicular wear and tear, and has kept us from "needing" a second car for many years, but I think the main reason I've kept at it is that I just sort of feel a responsibility to keep my numbers up. Saving the planet is just a side benefit.

And lastly, where the hell is Veelz?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home