Literal and figurative traverses of basin and range

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Underwhelming

In recent posts, I lamented that my lack of motivation and cold tolerance was keeping me off the trails. Today, I finally got my poop together and went over to Scarr Pass for a spin. My thoughts:
  • The two newer sections of the trail that takes off from the south end of the parking lot towards the TMP boundary were buffed. The remainder of this first section, however, continues to be a babyhead-strewn pitch of fugliness. I can only hope that whomever is cutting the new trails (Parks and Rec, SDMB, quien sabe?) is able to reroute the whole thing, at least to the gate. We wouldn't want the folks staying at the Marriott to be turned back by steep descents and some hike-a-bike.
  • Speaking of poseurs who have to outrigger a foot or two on the downhills and walk their bikes up the steep sections, I'm glad my singlespeed is relatively lightweight. It'd be very inconvenient to push it otherwise.
  • My punishment for carping on about the cold temps lately was to find myself absolutely roasting in a dark-colored wool jersey as I climbed towards the slot. And even as I found myself starting to sweat profusely, huffing the cold, dry air was making me wonder if I really had left my exercise-induced asthma behind.
  • I recently switched from rim to disk brakes on my Chameleon singlespeed. The change necessitated that I bolt up a two-tooth larger front chainring so as to create a "magic" gear/chain length combination - the Chameleon has fixed disk mounts and only certain combinations result in the proper fore-aft positioning of the rotor in the caliper. Those two teeth, and the mere 2.9 gear inches they added to my final drive, were killing me. I'm still well below 2:1, but I definitely felt the increased ratio on the hills. And over the rock ledges. And through the sand.
  • An ultra-rigid fork like the Planet-X Superlight I have on my bike, while almost perfect for a smooth track like Willow Springs, is perhaps not appropriate for a rock garden like TMP. Unfortunately, what's in my change jar won't quite cover a decent sussy fork just yet. Also, I have to remember that a suspension fork will be heavier and make my bike more tiring to push.
This whole damned misadventure amounted to about five-and-a-half miles of riding. Looks like its back to higher mileage and hill work on the road bike. At least I had enough oomph left over afterwards to take the mutt for a couple-mile walk around the neighborhood. BeanSS and I need him good and calm for his dog-sitter, as tonight is movie night. We're seeing some sort of film about dragons and swords.

Gotta' go make myself presentable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home