Literal and figurative traverses of basin and range

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Multiples of 10

I just hit the 1,000-mile mark in my bike commuting for this year. A thousand miles is no big deal to any of the serious road-riding hardmen (and women) around here, and it doesn't include rides other than back and forth to work, but its a small milestone for me nonetheless. At 8.8 miles per round trip, give or take, it took a bit over 100 rides to get there. The century mark came back in late September.

A thousand miles, a hundred rides, and yet my life presently revolves around the number 10.

Ten years is the age that I very much would like to see my dog, Kona, reach. Its an arbitrary point, but at least it has a name: a decade. Hoping that she'll make it that far somewhat helps me get over the feeling that she's been cheated out of the long and healthy life she deserved.

February 14, 2007, is Kona's 10th birthday, and its over 100 days from today. That's a long, long way away given the nature of what presently afflicts her, but with our love, the best care that her team of veterinarians can provide, and her general Pit Bull Terrier-tenacity, Kona just might make it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home